Future Projects





Lately I’ve been thinking about Christmas and birthdays; specifically what presents we will give Elijah for both occasions. I know it sounds crazy with Christmas more than six months away and Elijah’s birthday more nine months away but if I am to continue the trend of handmade gifts, it seems like a wise idea to start thinking about, planning and making them now…at least that’s what I’m telling myself.

So far I’ve come up with a couple of ideas. My first idea is to make the boy a doll. Yes, you heard me right, a doll. In our family we have pretty traditional views of gender roles; Jacob is the leader, provider, protector and I am his helper. However my traditional views of gender do not limit the types of toys I give to my child. If my son shows an interest in dolls (which he has), then I feel perfectly comfortable in making and giving him a doll.

With that said, I have found a pattern for a doll that I’d love to try. I love that it’s made from natural materials and that it’s soft and simple. I haven’t purchased it yet, but am planning to soon. The pattern was designed by a woman who lives in Australia and I think it’s adorable. I really like her blog http://www.vintagericrac.blogspot.com/ and she has a fun etsy shop where she sells the patterns and dolls http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5574262.

My second idea is to make him a dinosaur quilt and room décor for when he transitions to a toddler bed. This would most likely be a birthday present because of the time involved and also because Elijah won’t be able to use the quilt until he’s a little older. I’ve found a really cute pattern book called Chomp, Stomp and Roar that I’m anxious to buy. The designs are by a woman named Pam Manning. You can check out her blog here: http://rockycreekquilts.blogspot.com/2008/06/dinosaurs-stomp-chomp-and-roar.html.

My third idea is to make Elijah some felt tools. I found the most adorable pattern on etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6192066 and think Elijah would get a kick out of the tools.

Decisions, decisions. Do I attempt to make one, two or all of my ideas? Which one do I make first? Stay tuned….

No comments: