Antique Sampler



I’ve begun the tedious but rewarding task of charting an antique sampler that has been in my family for one-hundred-forty years. The sampler was created in the late 1860’s by my paternal great-great-grandmother. She created it when she was an eight year old girl living in England. A year later she immigrated to the United States with her family.
My dad, at my urging, recently had it reframed with preservation in mind and hopefully, it will continue to be a treasured family heirloom for years to come.
The original sampler hangs in my parent’s home but my dad has taken many photographs from which I am able to chart the design. The sampler contains many interesting motifs and it has been very fun charting them all.
My goal is to finish charting the design by the end of April and begin stitching in May. Ideally, I would love to finish in time to enter the sampler in the Spokane County Interstate fair, but we’ll see what happens.

No comments: